Friday, December 03, 2010

Trust but Verify

Or measure twice and cut once.  Actually, in Ecuador you probably should measure three or for times before cutting.

I know I haven't written much lately, but I've been busy.  Besides working, I'm in the process of becoming an Ecuadorian citizen.  I actually think I am a citizen already, and the process involved lots of papers and notaries and copies, but still need to go through the process of getting my ID and passport. 

Which brings me to the subject.  When I was given my papers in Cuenca I was told that I needed to go to the Civil Registry in Quito (only in Quito, it isn't possible elsewhere) with a notarized copy of my birth certificate for a process called "inscripcion," which I believe is putting a record of my birth in the books here. 

Well, that didn't happen.

I arrived in Quito this morning and went straight to the Civil Registry only to find out that I also needed two notarized copies of my marriage certificate (which they should have already because in the previous process I needed the same and was told that copies were sent to Quito) plus two copies of my husband's national ID.

WTF?  Why on earth would no one inform me that I needed those papers before getting on the plane.  I mean, I got here and the people at the registry said, sorry, we can't help you without these documents.  They suggested I call my husband and have him get the documents and send them here via courier that would arrive this afternoon, but Carlos is in the field right now and not even accessible on his phone.  Plus he has tons of other work he needs to finish because he's coming to Quito tonight since we are heading to Australia first thing tomorrow morning.

And don't even get me started on the five (5!!!!!) flights it takes to get from Cuenca to Melbourne.

N.B: Sorry if my spelling sucks, but this computer doesn't have an English spell check.

No comments: