Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Certifiable

Today I went to the Civil Registry in Cuenca.  As I mentioned before, the Civil Registry in Quito would not proceed with my naturalization process until I procured two copies of my marriage certificate, which could only be gotten in Cuenca.

Actually, I need to back up to yesterday.  Yesterday I tried to go to the Civil Registry in Cuenca.  I mean, I went to the office, but they weren't there anymore.  Apparently they are renovating their offices and the temporary location is on the other side of town.  Well, the other side of downtown.  If downtown Cuenca is about 10 by 15 blocks, the temporary offices were about 20 blocks away from the permanent ones.  And I'm not exaggerating, I counted.

So being a bit short on time to walk an extra 30 or so blocks (20 blocks to get there, plus another 10 additional blocks to get home that I wouldn't have had to walk if they hadn't moved the building), I decided to go today.  When I arrived there was a line in front.  I asked what the line was for and was told that it was to pick up documents.  I first had to ask for my documents, so I was told by the guards to go inside.

Once inside, I followed the signs that said "marriage certificates" to an office.  I entered and asked for what I needed.  I was told to go across the hall and ask there.  I did, and was told to go and ask downstairs.  I did, and was told to ask outside.  So once again I was was in the line that I was told before was not the line for me.

But I waited in that line and eventually made it to the front and was told that yes indeed I could ask for the certificates there.  I was sent away with a form to fill out.  I was told that I needed to copy my Ecuadorian ID onto it.  But, I responded, I don't have an Ecuadorian ID.  I'm going through the naturalization process so I can get one.  I was then told a copy my passport would suffice.

I filled it out and returned to the window again.  I was very specific about the certificate that I needed for naturalization and was then told, oh, we don't give those out.  WTF?  Didn't we just have the conversation that I need this for naturalization.  I once again reiterated that I needed the form for naturalization and was told that I would be receiving a different marriage certificate, but it was acceptable for naturalization.  I asked a third time just to be sure, quoting was they asked from me in Quito.  The women there seemed a bit annoyed with me and just told me to return tomorrow afternoon to pick up the certificates.

Lets hope it works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom came over a couple of days ago to tell about your father's cardiac mishaps and also to share your good news! Hopefully, all this aggravation doesn't affect you negatively! Love your posts!
Hanna