Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Security

I'm currently in Latacunga now, I was in Cuenca for the last week, after returning back from Chicago.  I brought back with me about 140lbs of luggage, 50lbs in each checked bag and about 40lbs in my carry on (which broke during the flight, but that's another story).  So what usually happens when I return to Ecuador is that Dad drops me off at the terminal with my two checked bags, then he parks while I check in and he meets me in the terminal and brings me my carry on.  We then say goodbye as I go through security.

This time, after I had checked in and was waiting for Dad, a woman approached me with a question.  "Have you," she asked, "ever flown before?" I replied yes.  It was her next question that actually sort of startled me, "Do you know where the gates are?"  "They are after security," I replied.  She had a blank look on her face.   "First you need to go through security, that line over there, and the gates are on the other side."  "Oh, thank you."

I understand that there are people who haven't ever flown before.  And O'Hare is a pretty intimidating airport for a first trip.  But was this woman living under a rock for the past decade?  Did she really have no idea that (now) you have to be screened before getting on the plane?  I hope she made it.

No comments: