Monday, October 19, 2009

Baking Soda Post Script

One thing that I forgot to mention in the previous post was the comment of the stock boy to my shocked reaction to there not being baking soda in the supermarket.  He said to me, "Why don't you just use baking powder?"

Any amateur cook and chemist (or professionals for that matter) knows that they are not interchangeable.  Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, a base.  Baking powder is sodium bicarbonate plus and acid. While you can use baking soda in conjunction with cream of tartar to replicate baking powder, there is nothing that you can take away from baking powder to replicate baking soda. 

Maybe the stock boys weren't awake in their chemistry classes.

However, at a baking shop I did manage to find a 70g bag of baking soda.  I bought it.  But while ringing it up, the women told us that it had to be sold as baking soda, not sodium bicarbonate, or it would be illegal :)

No comments: